Friday, August 19, 2011

Decision Fatigue, Or, Why I Cannot Be Trusted After 7pm

An article in Wednesday’s New York Times outlined the phenomenon of “decision fatigue.” Basically, it is as follows:  We have a finite amount of mental energy.  From the very moment we wake up we are using that mental energy to make millions of decisions.  As we continue to do so our willpower, as though it were a muscle, fatigues to the point where it gets more and more difficult to exercise good self control or good self discipline.  You’re mentally spent and it’s harder to make compromises or make good trade offs. 
Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Sugar and I am suffering from decision fatigue.  And I’m guessing a lot of you are too. 
My day starts with decisions and trade offs.  Getting myself ready for work is fraught with so many decisions it’s a wonder my willpower isn’t depleted by the time I get out the door.  Let’s take a sampling: 
Getting dressed (and gents, here’s where you have to have some respect for the ladies – our mental power is taxed in ways you don’t even understand):  Dress OR Skirt and Blouse OR Pants and Blouse OR Dress/Pants/Skirt with Sweater.  Once that’s decided it’s Muted Colors OR Bright Colors.  Then we go to Shoes: Flats OR Heels?  Neutrals OR Bright?  Accessories:  Pearls/Studs/Hoops/Dangling (and that’s just the earrings); Simple Chain/Statement Piece/Simple Pearls/Multi Strand (and that’s just the necklace); Cocktail Rings/Sentimental Rings/Simple Rings; Cuffs/Bangles/Pearls (that’s just the bracelets).  You get the idea.  And we haven’t even gotten to makeup. 
Work is inundated with its own set of decisions:  Which project to tackle first? How much time to spend on it? How to write this memo or that email?  How much research is enough research?
Taking all this into account, it is no wonder that my patience is sapped as the day drags on.  Merely restraining myself from telling a coworker how I really feel about her choice of office attire takes more and more of my energy, depleting energy from important things I need to do like, think. 
Take this as a warning.  Your mother told you nothing good can happen after midnight.  Well, I say nothing good can happen after 7pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment