Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Tween Heartthrobs

Lately I’ve found myself thinking wistfully of my care-free pre-teen and teenage years.  It was a glorious life before work, advanced degrees and bills where summer actually meant sleeping in and living a life of leisure.  In doing so, I recalled all my great loves of those years.  So here it is, a mildly-comprehensive list of my first celebrity crushes: 
1.      Jack Kelly (Newsies):  I understand that this is a movie character and really, should be listed as Christian Bale (oooh, didn’t he grow up nice), but Jack Kelly is in a class all his own.  He danced his way into my heart long before the male cast members of Glee (ok, Sam really) ever did. 
2.      Nick Carter (The Backstreet Boys):  Sure, I turned down the volume on “Backstreet’s Back” during a certain lyric to avoid a scolding from my parents, but boy-oh-boy.  Nick Carter papered the walls of my pre-teen bedroom.  Despite some unfortunate fashion choices (coughcough overalls), he had that good boy appeal that could rope in a nun.

3.      Jonathan Taylor Thomas (“JTT”):  JTT was the original Justin Bieber, hands down.  Even though I may be a 25 year old Belieber, JTT is still the best, hands down.
4.      Justin Timberlake (N’Sync):  JTimberlake may have grown into modern day eye-candy, but let’s not forget his original beginnings and his ability to make the hearts of 11-17 year old girls worldwide pound simultaneously with one smoldering look.
5.      Joey McIntyre (New Kids on the Block): MMMMM.  This delicious little slice of pecan pie has had me “flyin on the G-5” since I was conjugating Latin verbs. 
6.      HRH Prince William of Wales:  Though today I’m more of a Prince Harry kind of girl than a Prince William, back in the day I would have done anything to tousle that hair.  Kate Middleton, my inner tween is extremely jealous.   
7.      James Van der Beek (Dawson’s Creek): Ah, yes.  How could a list of tween hotties be complete without brooding Dawson’s Creek hottie Dawson himself?  His constant teen angst would annoy me to nth-degree now, but ten years ago, I would’ve given anything to get caught up in that stare. 
      8.      Joshua Jackson (Mighty Ducks):  Joshua Jackson is another Dawson’s Creek star, but I value          him more for his performance in the Mighty Ducks movies, particularly the last one.  There’s something about that good-boy-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks character at the prep school that makes (tween) me swoon.  
9.      Zack Morris (Saved by the Bell):  In grade school, I dreamed of being Kelly Kapowski just so I would get to slow dance with Zack at the super adorable Zack and Kelly prom.   
10.  AC Slater (Saved by the Bell):  Frequently. Exposed. Muscles.  Enough said.    

No comments:

Post a Comment